Title: Development Associate
Reports to: Senior Director of Development
Location: Remote, any US location
Starting Salary: $45,000-51,000
Start Date: Mid-December
Organization Description: Harlem Lacrosse’s mission is to provide opportunities, relationships, and experiences that activate the skills and traits to put youth on a path to success as students, athletes, and citizens. We achieve our goals by providing daily academic, athletic, and enrichment activities for our middle and high school aged youth, working through the sport of lacrosse to help them identify, pursue and achieve their aspirations.
Founded in 2011 in New York, Harlem Lacrosse has grown to five cities, and 41 programs as of Fall 2021. In addition to developing crucial athletic and social-emotional skills, our students consistently outperform their peers academically, passing their classes, graduating high school, and enrolling and persisting in college at a higher rate than other students in their schools. HL teams regularly win city-wide championships, and many alumni go on to play lacrosse in college.
Position Summary: Harlem Lacrosse seeks a full-time Development Associate to support the effective operations of our fundraising nationally and in our five geographies. Reporting to the Senior Director of Development, this role is an ideal opportunity for a talented, self-motivated candidate with a commitment to sports-based youth development and youth empowerment, who is eager to gain experience in the field of nonprofit fundraising.
The Development Associate partners with the Senior Director of Development and all members of the Harlem Lacrosse Development Team to make our work more efficient and effective. By creating organizational systems, managing details, and taking ownership of key processes and projects, the Development Associate advances the ability of the team to build effective partnerships and secure the resources necessary to provide life-changing opportunities to youth.
Development Administration and Operations (50%)
- Maintain an accurate and actionable donor database (CiviCRM) by regularly inputting donor information and conducting regular review and cleanup of records.
- Enter all gifts into the donor database and process acknowledgements and thank you letters for donors in a timely manner.
- Use CiviCRM and other analytics and forecasting tools to generate reports and insights to ensure Harlem Lacrosse is on track towards its goals.
- Develop profiles and meeting briefs for CEO and/or Senior Director of Development.
- Conduct prospect research and pipeline development to identify new potential donors and funding partners.
- Serve as liaison with the operations team on all revenue documentation by logging incoming gifts and maintaining relevant files for reconciliation and audit.
- Maintain Google Drive resources for the Development Team so that fundraisers have fast access to necessary documents for solicitations.
- Become the Development Team’s resident expert on HL’s technology systems, support the team in using those systems effectively, and suggest refinements to the systems to better meet the needs of the team.
- Assist with the coordination of the Board Development Committee by maintaining meeting calendar, preparing agendas and materials for meetings, and corresponding with members.
Marketing and Communications (20%)
- Assist with marketing and communications activities including the creation of a monthly newsletter, updating social media outlets, blog and website with relevant information.
- Manage photo and video banks and identify needs for additional visual collateral.
- Build and cultivate media contacts list and write and circulate press releases.
- Work with program leaders to draft compelling participant and volunteer stories.
Stewardship and Donor Relations (10%)
- Coordinate fundraising campaign operations by preparing mailing lists, printing, labeling, and mailing solicitations.
- Assist Senior Director of Development in preparing donor correspondence including letters, reports and relevant updates.
Special and Fundraising Events (10%)
- Provide logistical support for fundraising events, special events and site visits including preparing materials, coordinating schedules, identifying vendors, and other logistical duties as needed.
- Assist in identifying, soliciting and stewarding corporate sponsorships for Harlem Lacrosse events and for maximizing individual sponsorships and ticket purchases.
Administrative Support for Development Leaders (10%)
- Assist the Senior Director of Development with calendaring, drafting communications, site visit preparation, and other daily administrative tasks
- Assist with the coordination of Development Team meetings
- Provide administrative support to the CEO related to his development portfolio (scheduling and materials development), as directed by the Senior Director of Development
- Interest in the field of nonprofit fundraising, and a consistent pattern of curiosity and drive for continuous learning.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to both manage your own work, and manage up to senior leaders to ensure the work of the team is moving forward effectively.
- Strong research skills, with the ability to select appropriate sources and present the relevant information for the audience
- Ability to develop relationships with Harlem Lacrosse constituents of all kinds, including staff, participants, families, board members, volunteers, donors, and others.
- Ability to develop comfort with technology tools quickly and use technology to advance the work of the team. Harlem Lacrosse uses Google Suite, Trello, CiviCRM, Adobe, Squarespace, Canva and other tools; experience with these tools is not a requirement, but the successful candidate will have a track record of technology skill development and acumen.
- Commitment to racial equity and knowledge and/or curiosity about disrupting racism in fundraising, youth development and the nonprofit sector. Comfort with discussions about diversity, equity and inclusion, and enthusiasm for investigating one's own identity and honing a racial equity lens.
- Experience with social media management and/or graphic design a plus.
- Experience with fundraising and event management a plus.
- All employees will complete a criminal background check upon hire and throughout employment with Harlem Lacrosse.
This is a remote position, but this job will require some travel among Harlem Lacrosse’s five cities – Baltimore, Boston, Los Angeles, New York City and Philadelphia. Regardless of location, the ability to successfully work with other employees in different geographies is essential. Experience working in remote or distributed environments is a plus.
Compensation and Benefits:
The starting salary range for this position is $45,000-51,000 depending on location and experience. Harlem Lacrosse offers a comprehensive suite of benefits including paid vacation and sick leave, health insurance with employer contribution to the premium, Flexible Spending and Health Savings accounts, 401(k) with employer match, technology subsidy, ongoing professional development, and more.
Process: Interested candidates should submit an application, including a resume, cover letter, and brief introductory video, to this posting. Candidates who are selected to move forward will be invited to a phone interview, and finalists will participate in a longer conversation with organizational leaders who they would work with in this position. All parts of the interview process will take place virtually. We anticipate the successful candidate starting in early- to mid-December.